“For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the Dark Times...before the Empire.”—Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi
The Jedi Order was a monastic peacekeeping order centered around the use of the light side of the Force to serve as the protectors of the galaxy; the mandate of the Jedi was to serve as the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy, particularly the Galactic Republic.
The Jedi Order was founded following a schism in the Order of the Jedi Bendu circa 15,000 BBY, causing the Jedi Bendu to split into the Jedi Order and the Bendu Order; this event was covered up by the Republic’s government, and knowledge of the Jedi Bendu was lost and replaced with the notion that the Jedi had existed throughout the duration of the Old Republic. The Jedi came to participate in a number of galactic conflicts, particularly against the Sith. The end of the New Sith Wars saw the Jedi Order being reformed in the Ruusan Reformations, as well as the belief that the Sith had been completely destroyed.
Around 19 BBY, the Jedi Order collapsed, as did the Republic, when the Galactic Empire came to power. Jedi were forced to hide throughout the galaxy; Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, operating under the pseudonym Ben Kenobi, was one such Jedi.
- Alsakan Crisis (First appearance)
- Great Hutt Wars
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Darth Bane: Path of Destruction
- Darth Bane: Rule of Two
- Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil
- Star Wars: The Tragedy (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode I - The Chosen One
- Star Wars: The Alderaan Affair (First mentioned)